- Se connecter / Crée un compte / Liste de souhaits & Mariage -

An Ancestral French Treasure 

Bourg-Joly Malicorne, faïence d’art du Bourg-Joly, was founded in 1747, in the heart of the Sarthe River valley by Jean Loiseau. It is the oldest earthenware company still in operation in Malicorne.

Faïence, or tin-glazed and enamelled earthenware, first emerged in France during the 16th Century. Originally replicating designs that had traditionally been produced in wood or metal for everyday use, over the next two centuries, the styles and designs evolved towards finely crafted forms, elegant proportions and artistic hand painted patterns.

White clay was used to produce the finest results for the most sought-after pieces. Elaborate masterpieces and exceptional hand carving techniques helped to build the Bourg-Joly Malicorne name and make the products renowned throughout France.

Bourg Joly Malicorne is heir to the history of two factories established in Malicorne in the 18th century -  the Plat d'Etain faience factory founded in 1747 by Jean Loiseau and the Mèneville faience factory founded in 1797 by Guillaume Rabigot, son of a potter who worked for Jean Loiseau.

Over the course of our 250-year history, the skills and savoir-faire or know-how of these two founding establishments have been transmitted from generation to generation. Since April 2009, a new generation of passionate enthusiasts is carrying forward the tradition, our history and designs into the 21st century.

Today our craftsmen continue to handcraft and hand paint our products in much the same way as it has been done for over 250 years. In preserving French heritage, our historical traditions and ancestral techniques, we create heirloom pieces both classic and contemporary, that will be enjoyed by generations to come.


Jean Loiseau opened the Plat d’Etain faience factory in Malicorne-sur-Sarthe. During the second half of the 18th century, the Plat d’Etain faience factory prospered and potters began moving to Malicorne.

Jean Loiseau invited ceramic painters from the historic city of faience, Nevers, to join him.  Amongst them, came Pierre Rabigot, who introduced the Nevers style of decoration to Malicorne. Pierre Rabigot brought with him the formula for white tin-glazed enamel, which he decorated with a variety of polymorphic flower patterns and embellishments, designs which we still produce to this day.

Historic documents tell us that in 1784, the Inspector General of the Manufactures de Tours reported the success of the first Malicorne earthenware.


Jean Loiseau died on 16th October 1785 and he was buried in Malicorne cemetery. His son Jean Louis succeeded him. Pierre Rabigot and his son, Guillaume, continued to work as potters at Le Plat d'Étain until The Revolution in 1789.


In 1797, during the Abolition of privileges, the Méneville factory was founded by Guillaume Rabigot. The Mèneville faïence factory opened its doors on 13th February 1797, the second largest factory in the village, and is the direct ancestor of Bourg-Joly Malicorne.

During 19th century Plat d’Etain  continued to prosper and was sold to Charles Cador in 1829.


In 1830, Victor Rabigot Chenon, son of Guillaume, bought a tannery which included a watermill, a place called Bourg – Joly. In 1854,  Victor Rabigot Soulis, his son, inherited Bourg – Joly.

Meanwhile, the daughter of Charles Cador (owner of Méneville factory), married Jules Beatrix who worked with his new father-in-law. Their work increasing the reputation of the Malicorne earthenware producers and by 1857 their products had earnt an excellent reputation.


In 1867 both Caroline Cador and René Béatrix died, leaving their son Jules Béatrix, aged 28, to become the head of the establishment. In 1874  he too died, leaving his widow, Eloise Pellerin to manage the earthenware factory until her daughters, Marie Angèle and Marie Juliette came of age. The eldest daughter, Marie Angèle, married  Leon Pouplard whilst the younger married Jules Michel Moreau.


Leon Pouplard managed the Plat d’Etain factory alongside his mother-in-law Eloise Pellerin. They adopted the same approach as the Rabigot family at Bourg-Joly, developing a more artistic product range to ensure the continued success of the factory.

In 1898 Léon Pouplard bought moulds for a number of statues together with a range of lavishly decorated plates, from Graindorge, an earthenware producer in Brittany.

The end of the 19th century marked the development of an artistic style of earthenware in Malicorne.


On the death of his mother in 1899, Emmanuel Rabigot took over Bourg-Joly with the help of his brother-in-law André Arondel. However, following his election as  mayor of Malicorne in 1899, he sold Bourg-Joly to his cousin Gustave Leroy Dubois in 1901.

Gustave Leroy Dubois focussed on producing artistic earthenware and high-quality products, attracting many artists such as Hervé Mathé and Jules Ronsin to come and work with him. Together with Léon Pouplard, he bought the moulds from the Bonnétable faience factory when it closed in 1912.


In 1914 Gustave Leroy Dubois was called up to the army.  He sold Bourg-Joly to Marie Juliette Béatrix, who had inherited half of the Plat d’Etain faïencerie, managed by her sister Marie Angèle and her husband Léon Pouplard.

This marked the end of the Rabigot and Leroy Dubois families involvement in Bourg-Joly.


In 1918, Jules Moreau bought Bourg-Joly for his son, Jules, and a new dynasty went on to oversee the artistic heart of Malicorne for 5 generations.

La Faïencerie Artistique du Bourg Joly Malicorne, focused on artistic rather than utilitarian earthenware, and  developed a network of outlets throughout  France and Europe.

After 60 years of managing his earthenware factory Le Plat d’Etain, Léon Pouplard died without descendants. He left the pottery to his nephew Jules Moreau. Bourg Joly Malicorne then brought together the two historic factories that had influenced the history of Malicorne so profoundly.

Bourg-Joly inherited Leon Pouplard’s famous bestiary, countless pattern templates and moulds for plates and statues which enriched its heritage.


In 1993, the Moreau family sold the Faïencerie to Jean-Pierre Fouquet who, with his wife Brigitte, continued the tradition inspired by the Loiseau, Rabigot, Cador-Beatrix, Pouplard and Moreau families.

The Fouquets helped the earthenware factory to progress into the new millennium. Using their unique expertise, they created the shop 16 rue Carnot in Malicorne where custom-made and limited-edition products became their speciality.

In 2007, La Faïencerie was acquired by Thierry and Véronique Taravel. The financial difficulties and the significant need for investment, exacerbated by the 2008 financial crisis,  brought an end to production in December 2008.


A new page of history began when B. Denis, born in Fontaine-Daniel (53) and Eric Le Calvez together with the former employees and their savoir-faire, rekindled the ovens on April 7, 2009.

Today, Eric and Sophie Le Calvez and their team are turning a new page in the history of the manufacturer. Based on the team’s unique production knowledge and a huge investment programme in the historic Bourg-Joly site,  the atelier is once more the beating heart of the village.

The workshop has been renovated, a new kiln installed, giving Bourg Joly a new lease of life. Collaboration with designers, participation in numerous trade fairs and exhibitions are all helping to reposition and re-energise the business.

The company is finding new markets exporting to USA, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Denmark and the Middle East.


Bourg Joly was commissions to create 342 of its signature openwork baskets for the Monaco Royal Wedding. The baskets formed part of the table decorations at Prince Albert and Princess Charlene’s wedding celebrations at the Monaco Opera.


Bourg-Joly was invited by Mr & Mrs de Nicolay to exhibit pieces at their home the Château du Lude throughout the summer.

Photography Guy Durand


Bourg Joly Malicorne was at the centre of a major exhibition Le Grand Atelier EPV on exceptional Living Heritage Companies at Harrods, London. 

Depuis 1747, une aventure faïencière 
Bourg-Joly Malicorne, faïencerie d'art est la plus ancienne Faïencerie encore en activité aujourd'hui à Malicorne, perpétuant les méthodes et les techniques des premiers jours.

La faïence, ou terre cuite émaillée, est apparue en France au 16ème siècle. Reproduisant à l'origine des motifs traditionnellement fabriqués en bois ou en métal pour un usage quotidien, ils ont évolué au cours des deux siècles suivants vers des formes finement travaillées, des proportions élégantes et des motifs artistiques peints à la main.

L'argile blanche a été utilisée pour produire les meilleurs résultats pour les pièces les plus recherchées. Des chefs-d'oeuvre élaborés et des techniques de sculpture à la main exceptionnelles ont contribué à la construction du nom de Bourg-Joly Malicorne et à la renommée de ses produits dans toute la France.

Elle est l'héritière au fil de l'histoire de deux manufactures installées à Malicorne au XVIIIème siècle ; la faïencerie du " Plat d'étain " fondée en 1747 par Jean Loiseau et celle de Mèneville fondée en 1797 par Guillaume Rabigot, fils d'un tourneur collaborateur de Jean Loiseau.

Au cours de nos 250 ans d’existence, ces compétences et ce savoir-faire se sont transmis de génération en génération. Depuis avril 2009, une nouvelle génération de passionnés perpétue la tradition, notre histoire et nos designs dans le 21ème siècle.

Aujourd'hui, nos artisans continuent à fabriquer et à peindre nos produits à la main depuis plus de 250 ans. En préservant le patrimoine français, nos traditions historiques et nos techniques ancestrales, nous créons des pièces d’héritage à la fois classiques et contemporaines, qui plairont aux générations futures.


Jean Loiseau ouvre la faïencerie Plat d'Etain à Malicorne-sur-Sarthe.

Durant la deuxième partie du XVIIIème, le Plat d'étain prospère , les tourneurs apparaissent.

Jean Loiseau fait venir des peintres de Nevers dont Pierre Rabigot, le style Nevers arrive à Malicorne. Il apporte la composition de l'émail blanc à l'étain, il ajoute le dessin polymorphe de fleurs et d'ornements.

En 1784, L'inspecteur général des Manufactures de Tours rapporte déjà le succès rencontré par les premières faïences de Malicorne.


Jean Loiseau meurt le 16 octobre 1785, il est inhumé au cimetière de Malicorne. Son fils Jean Louis prend sa succession. Pierre Rabigot et son fils, Guillaume, sont tourneurs au Plat d'étain jusqu'à La Révolution.


En 1797, à l'abolition des privilèges, Guillaume fonde son entreprise. La faïencerie de Mèneville nait le 13 février, seconde faïencerie du village, elle est l'ancêtre directe de Bourg-Joly Malicorne. Au XIXème siècle, le Plat d'étain se développe et est vendu en 1829 à Charles Cador.


En 1830 Victor Rabigot Chenon, fils de Guillaume, achète la tannerie et le moulin à trèfle du lieu dit du " Bourg-Joly ". 1854 Victor Rabigot Soulis (son fils) hérite du Bourg-Joly et de Mèneville Charles Cador marie sa fille à Jules Béatrix, qui contribue avec son beau père au renom des Faïenceries de Malicorne.

En 1857, leur production est remarquée et déjà très appréciée.



Cette année marque le décès de Caroline Cador et de René Béatrix. Jules Béatrix, leur fils âgé de 28 ans se retrouve à la tête de l'établissement pour une très courte durée, il décède en 1874 et sa veuve, Eloïse Pellerin dirige seule la faïencerie en attendant la majorité de ses deux filles : Marie Angèle et Marie Juliette. L'ainée, Marie Angèle, rencontre Léon Pouplard, la cadette épousera Jules Michel Moreau.


Léon Pouplard dirige la manufacture du plat d'étain avec sa belle mère . Tout comme chez les Rabigot, au Bourg Joly, Léon Pouplard développe une production plus artistique afin de pérenniser l'entreprise.

En 1898 il rachète les moules de la faïencerie Graindorge , en Bretagne, de nombreuses statues ainsi que des plats richement travaillés. La fin du XIX marque le développement de la faïence dite artistique.


En 1899, à la mort de sa mère, Emmanuel Rabigot reprend l'entreprise aidé par l'impulsion d'André Arondel, son beau frère. Elu Maire de Malicorne en 1899 il vend à son cousin Gustave Leroy Dubois la faïencerie du Bourg Joly en 1901. Gustave Leroy Dubois développe la faïence artistique et produit des pièces de grande qualité. Il accueille de nombreux artistes tels que Hervé Mathé et Jules Ronsin.

Il rachète avec Léon Pouplard les moules de la faïencerie de Bonnétable à sa fermeture en 1912.


En 1914, Gustave Leroy Dubois est appelé à l'armée. Mobilisé il confie l'entreprise à sa femme et vend le Bourg-Joly à Marie Juliette Béatrix, héritière pour moitié du Plat d'étain, dirigée par sa sœur Marie Angèle et son mari Léon Pouplard.

Cette date marque la fin de la dynastie familiale des Rabigot et Leroy Dubois sur le Bourg Joly.


Jules Moreau achète le Bourg Joly, en 1918, pour son fils ,Jules, une nouvelle dynastie va faire vibrer le cœur artistique de Malicorne durant 5 générations.

"La Faïencerie Artistique du Bourg Joly à Malicorne", avec des faïences plus décoratives qu'utilitaires, développe un réseau de revendeurs en France et en Europe.

Après avoir animé pendant 60 ans la Faïencerie de la famille, Léon Pouplard sans descendant laisse sa fabrique à son neveu Jules Moreau, Bourg Joly Malicorne réunit alors les deux branches historiques ayant fait l'histoire du Malicorne.

La Faïencerie hérite alors du fameux bestiaire de Leon Pouplard, de nombreux poncifs et moules de plats et de statuaires venant ainsi enrichir son patrimoine.


En 1993, les Moreau cèdent la Faïencerie à Jean-Pierre Fouquet qui, avec son épouse Brigitte, s'inscrira dans la tradition insufflée par les Loiseau, Rabigot, Cador-Beatrix, Pouplard et Moreau.

Ces derniers permettront à la faïencerie d'entrer dans le nouveau millénaire avec son savoir-faire unique, développant la boutique du 16 rue Carnot à Malicorne, travaillant ainsi le sur mesure et les séries limitées

En 2007, La Faïencerie est rachetée par Thierry et Véronique Taravel. Les difficultés financières et les besoins d'investissements importants accentués par la crise d'octobre 2008 imposent un arrêt de l'activité fin décembre 2008.


Une nouvelle page d'histoire commence, B.Denis, né à Fontaine-Daniel (53) et E.le Calvez avec autour d'eux les anciens salariés et leur savoir, rallument les fours le 7 Avril 2009.

Aujourd'hui Éric et Sophie le Calvez avec leur équipe resserrée sur les savoirs faires uniques développent cette nouvelle page d'histoire, un vaste plan d'investissement sur le site historique du Bourg-Joly au centre du village est engagé.

Les ateliers sont rénovés, un nouveau four arrive, un nouvel élan est donné, collaborations avec des designers, multiples participations à des évènements et expositions contribuent à repositionner l'entreprise dans une nouvelle dynamique.

Exports aux États-Unis, Japon, Suède, Allemagne, Italie, Suisse, Autriche et Danemark permettent à l'entreprise de trouver de nouveaux débouchés.


342 corbeilles s'invitent sur les tables princières du diner de mariage à l'opéra de Monaco.


Bourg-Joly Malicorne est invité chez Mr et Mme de Nicolay au Château du Lude durant tout l'été.

Photographie Guy Durand


Bourg Joly Malicorne est au centre d'une grande exposition Le Grand Atelier EPV sur les entreprises d'exception chez Harrods à Londres tout au long du mois de juin. 


We would like to thank Odile Chardon and the Moreau family for their help in putting together the history of Bourg Joly.

Nous remercions Odile Chardon et la famille Moreau, pour leurs aides à la réalisation de cette page d'histoire.

Copyright © 2019 Faïence Bourg-Joly Malicorne, faïencerie d'art Malicorne | Les prix sont en EUR